Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Woodland Wall Prints

The baby's "nursery" is currently our office space, but the nesting is hitting hard, and I've been slowly encroaching on hubby's territory with various pieces of furniture and decoration. I settled on a woodlands theme, and this weekend, I visited Ikea with a plan in mind. And thus, one of my favorite projects was born: Woodland Wall Prints/hangings!






Aren't they smashing? It was a really simple project (took a two afternoons to complete), and really pretty cost effective. Here's a breakdown:

Duvet Cover: $19.99
48in frame stretcher boards x4: $19.66
40in frame boards x4: $15.96
16in frame boards x2: $2.98
11in frame boards x2: $1.38

Total Cost for 3 wall prints: $59.97

$60 for 3 (huge) custom wall prints? Not bad.

If you're curious how I made it, I documented the steps.

Materials:
Seam ripper (optional)
Iron/ironing board
Glue
Staple gun
Scissors
Stretcher Frame boards (for fitting together to make your own canvases, from Hobby Lobby)
Fabric (in this case, duvet cover)


I started with this duvet cover from Ikea (Vandring Rav) :



First, I had to separate the front from the back. I used a seam ripper, and it took for-ever. You could just cut the two pieces apart.


 


Backing material, saved for another project

Then I ironed the whole thing to get the big creases out.

I got my frame boards from Hobby Lobby, enough to make three hangings: 48"x48", 40"x16", and 40"x11". I assembled them, and if I had been doing things perfectly proper, I would have used wood glue, but all I had was tacky craft glue, so I applied some to the tabs and slotted them together. I then did some staples on both sides for added stability.







This is what the boards look like with their tabs (forgot to take a picture).



Once I had my frames assembled, I laid them out on top of my duvet cover to figure out the layout.

I cut around each frame, with a generous border of fabric (about 3 inches where I could manage it) so that it would wrap around the board with enough extra for stapling on the back. (If your pieces are still slightly wrinkly, you might give them a second ironing)




(Bonus bump)


Then I flipped it all over, pulled the fabric taut, and stapled. I started on the top, stapled it down, then stretched it really tight, stapled the bottom, and then did the sides. You can use your scissors to trim any excess (and it's okay if you do a terrible job like me, no one will know).





Flip it over and be amazed! I suppose you could add some sort of hanging hardware on the back, but just did two nails in the wall, and hooked the board over those.






Here's what they look like all hung up in the room! (excuse the remnants of office furniture left in the room)


My awesome mom and dad made that cubby system for us





1 comment:

  1. Totally awesome!! Great job and wonderful ideas put into action. Love you much, Mom

    ReplyDelete